Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Big Question #2: How will the US fare?

First, you must define what would be considered a successful tournament for the Americans. The consensus among most mainstream media is that getting out of the group phase will be considered a success. I would be satisfied with the US getting to the round of 16 but due to raised expectations that is simply the status quo. In order to be successful the US must make it to the quarterfinals.

On Friday evening I will post my prediction and full match preview for the showdown with the Three Lions, but in reality that match really doesn't matter. I obviously want a result, but as long as the US does not get embarrassed and fuck up their goal differential they should be alright. I am not the first person to make this point but the US needs to win against Slovenia and Algeria. It could be easy to discount these two sides as they are unfamiliar, but that would be a mistake.

Slovenia is a defensive side with a few solid but not elite level players. Samir Handanovic is the starting goaltender for Udinese in Serie A, Milivoje Novakovic scored 16 goals for Cologne in the Bundesliga. Algeria, is the runt of the litter but they have the ability to win against all odds. They beat the Ivory Coast in the Africa Cup of Nations but then were run off the field against Egypt in semifinal. They are an organized and compact side that will be difficult to break down.
The challenge for the US against these lesser opponents is that they will have to force the action and break down the opponent. This has not been the US strong suit of late, they have been more effective staying back and countering with Donovan, Dempsey and Altidore.

So will the US meet my expectations and reach the quarterfinals, I do not think they will. I see them reaching the round of 16 but being eliminated by darkhorse Serbia.

Good US players:

Dempsey, Donovan, Altidore, Bradley, Howard

Bad US players:

Spector, Clark, Demerit

Players I want to see more of:

Torres, Gomez




No comments:

Post a Comment