Clearly it will die down when the US is eliminated, but I am enjoying the ride. The Ghana game will be historic in terms of viewership. You can't beat a 230pm start on a Saturday that doesn't have much going in terms of sports. Will people care in three months or two years? All I can say is more Americans will care about soccer in the future then they did in the past. The interest will continue to grow as ESPN saturates the airwaves with top flight European soccer.
I didn't know anything about soccer five years ago I watched the legendary 2005 Champions League final and was drawn in by a never say die Liverpool team that willed themselves to victory. I can't imagine I am alone.
The Guardian takes on this question and comes to many of the same conclusions, mainly that ESPN has invested too much in the sport to let it fade away only to return four years later.
Friday, June 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment