I am struggling for the right words today. The game meant so much, I was tense from the moment I woke up this morning. The game itself was was so frustrating for 91 minutes. The US created so many chances but were unable to convert. Simultaneously the defense was shaky and looked likely to concede if Algeria was able to create a chance.
Chances were plentiful for the US but as the game dragged it unlikely that they would be able to score. In the 91st minute when Landon Donovan slotted home a tournament change goal Central Bar in NYC erupted. All the hand wringing and agony was worth that moment. Joy unconfined.
Credit Tim Howard for the winning goal. His throw off of an Algerian header was quick, long, and accurate. The throw found Donovan in stride who moved forward with Dempsey and Altidore to score a goal I have already seen 15 times.
My players of the game are Altidore and Bradley. Bradley was a revelation in the middle controlling the field and pushing up when needed. Altidore had his strongest game yet as he overwhelmed the Algerians with speed, holding play, smart passing, and brute force.
Saturday afternoon the USA will play against the runner up of group D. The game will be the most highly anticipated match in recent memory. I can't wait...
Wednesday, June 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment