Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Worth reading

Over the weekend the NYT Magazine ran a nice article on the Ajax training program in the Netherlands. They have some funny theories on the American aversion to the beautiful game.

Many people seemed to believe that the sport is still a novelty in the United States, a game that we took up only in the last couple of decades and that is not yet popular or perhaps is even disdained by our best male athletes — an understandable view given the much greater international success of the U.S. women’s teams. I had lunch one day with Auke Kok, a historian and Dutch soccer journalist, who offered up his own hypothesis. He talked of the “brute force” of American football as opposed to the elegance and flair of great international soccer. “I’ve always wondered if our football is too stylish, too feminine,” he said. “Am I right that it’s too girlish for Americans?”

No comments:

Post a Comment